The Application Programmer position is aligned with the Application Developer group in CLAS Technology Services, and specifically deployed to the Department of Psychology. It will contribute to the design, installation, configuration, administration, security, operational integrity, and support of custom developed or integrated software solutions for administrative and research units. Software development, implementation, and maintenance associated with the applications are an integral part of the position’s scope of responsibilities. Projects include working directly with departmental contacts and end users, as well as other university contacts and outside vendors. Project assignments and priorities will be designated by strategic goals and vision of the department. Day to day operations may be set by the Department of Psychology’s technology lead in collaboration with the CLAS Technology Services Application Development Manager. May act as primary contact for Department of Psychology in absence of IT Manager. Successful candidate will be hired as Application Programmer/ Application Analyst (PIA1) or Application Developer (PIA2) based on years of relevant experience.
- Professional related experience (typically 1-3 years for Application Programmer or 3-5 years for Application Developer) designing, developing and maintaining database driven web applications in a professional environment.
- Experience with programming in PHP, Ruby, C#, Java, or other object oriented language.
- Basic skills with relational database design theory and SQL query languages. Demonstrated experience working with MySQL or MS SQL.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and accurately, both orally and in writing, with technical and non-technical staff.
- Experience with IIS web server.
- Familiarity with web content management platforms such as Drupal.
- Experience with software design and database modeling.
- Familiarity with software development best practices such as source code control, issue tracking, testing, etc.
- Familiarity with agile software development
**NOTE: All qualifications to be demonstrated at the WORKING proficiency level for Application Developer and BASIC proficiency level for the Application Programmer/Analyst.**